Bamboo Monkey is the Australian company creating sustainably made bamboo basics. Their clothing is of high quality and not only looks and feels good, but is good for the environment too.
Their clothing is made in China. Edwina, the founder, spent years as a buyer traveling the world, visiting factories and observing workers conditions. She found that China stands apart for being both ethical and professional.
Workers are well paid and protected by awards. Living conditions are of a high standard for the workers who travel from the rural communities and live in dormitories at the factories for large parts of the year – Edwina Walsh, founder of Bamboo Monkey.
It may surprise you how eco bamboo really is compared to many other materials out there:
- Bamboo does not need pesticides or herbicides to thrive.
- Bamboo absorbs carbon dioxide and releases 35% more oxygen into the atmosphere than an equivalent size of hardwood trees.
- Bamboo grows in a variety of conditions.
- It requires significantly less energy and water to grow.
- Bamboo fabric contains an antimicrobial agent called Kun, this prevents bacteria from growing on the fabric, keeping you odour free.
- Bamboo is incredibly soft.
- Bamboo fabric is known to have excellent wicking properties and be thermal regulating, keeping you cool in summer and warm in winter.
- Bamboo fiber is non-irritating to the skin, making it perfect for those who have skin sensitivities.
Raglan Crew In Stripe
The Raglan Crew in Stripe is a versatile sweatshirt that can be dressed up or down. It is super, I repeat, super comfy and it has raw edge detailing, as well as thumb holes which I really liked. The material (bamboo and cotton) make it super soft and also really durable.
Bamboo Monkey Eco Cup
I absolutely loved this Eco cup, not only because it kept my drinks hot, but because it is made of bamboo and therefore is biodegradable at the end of its life. Additionally, they are dishwasher safe and very lightweight which I love. The lid and grip are silicone, which can be recycled.
The cup itself has a very natural look, which you can see here.