Could you live with having 30 – 40 pieces of clothing only? This is called having a ‘capsule wardrobe’.
A capsule wardrobe is a small collection of clothing that does not go out of fashion, such as skirts, trousers, and coats, which can then be altered with seasonal pieces. A capsule wardrobe does not include active wear, accessories or handbags.
Benefits of having a Capsule Wardrobe:
- You can become more creative with choosing your outfits because you have limited options to choose from.
- Um… Less laundry. HOORAY!!!
- Random purchases are decreased
- You can learn to repair/refashion over replacing. Having the ability to sew is a great skill to have and this is a situation where it can be put to practice. Faye Delanty is the refashion queen! Check out her insta to see some of her refashions!!!
- You end up realising that buying clothes and shopping aren’t as important as you may have thought.
- Getting dressed is a breeze, you don’t have the struggle of ‘What do I wear?’ or ‘I don’t know what to wear…’
Checklist of the only items of clothing you may really need:
☐- Jeans x2 or x3 (in dark and light colours)
☐- Black Leggings
☐- Dress pants
☐- Basic coloured tees
☐- White shirt
☐- Sweater x2 (one light and one heavy)
☐- Cardigan/cover up
☐- Tunic or a statement top
☐- Plain dress
☐- Day dress/es
☐- Pencil skirt
☐- Maxi skirt
☐- Denim jacket
☐- All weather jacket
☐- Winter dress coat
*If you would like to use this checklist or use this guide to help you, you can print it by clicking on the print button on the left.
Some colour combos to think about…
How to build a Capsule Wardrobe
- Take every item out of your wardrobe and lay it somewhere where you can see it ALL e.g. your bed.
- Sort you clothing into categories Seasonal, Keep and Donate.
- OPTIONAL- live with your keep pile for a week and see how you feel about it. During this time you can work out what you need more of e.g. You might need to take back those boyfriend jeans from the donate pile and add them to the keep pile. You may also decide that you need to have more of something… this could be more casual tanks if you work from home.
- Shop for the items you NEED only. Make sure that you are buying from ethically sourced and made companies e.g veja, mattandnat. 🙂 PRO TIP: before you go shopping, write a specific list of what you need, and what you need only. E.g. Beige tank. This is so that you don’t go spending money on clothing that you don’t need.
- Now that you are happy with what is in the keep pile, go ahead and put those pieces away, donate the donate items and store the seasonal pieces.
- Enjoy changing up your wardrobe every season!
Ethically Engaged x
If you would like to use see my previous post on the importance of natural makeup/skincare, click the link here